Thursday, December 6, 2007

Getting A Six Pack - Part I


The day: Friday
The date: November 9th, 2007
The occasion: The first day, first show of ‘Om Shanti Om’
The place: Outside Maris ‘multiplex’, Trichy, Tamil Nadu.
The time: 1:30 PM

The first thought that entered my mind as I was leaving the theatre, apart from how blissfully entertaining the movie was, was how difficult could it possibly be to build a six pack? (For the ignorant ones amongst us, by a six pack I am referring to the shape of the abs one can achieve after consistent and determined hard, endless workout sessions; the kind one often observes comic book heroes sport, ramp walking male models show off and WWE superstars achieve.)


After watching Shahrukh Khan prance around shirtless in the movie (and ironically pointless too! As one very pissed off critic rightly pointed out - One has to give credit to the director/choreographer Farah Khan to be able to pull off a song sequence which was definitely not required, so that her friend Shahrukh Khan gets an opportunity to show off his hard earned, well deserved six pack abs and make it clear that if close rival Hrithik Roshan can do it in Dhoom II, then even he can, and that too with élan! The smart packaging of this deal, on Farah Khan’s behalf, made the audience not only sit through SRK’s scintillating stomach show but also look forward to it and on certain occasions, come back to the theatre just to see the video again!) , I was forced to ask myself, “If Shahrukh Khan can do it, why can’t I?”


Honestly, the guy’s over 40, has a persistent back problem and was never considered as a well-built, muscular protagonist, and yet he managed to work against all odds and came out tops. 


Keeping all this in mind, I decided, no matter what it takes, I’m going to do it too. Eloquent plans were made, exercise schedules were drawn, and food regimens to the barest minimum details were chalked out, ensuring I get my daily dose of vitamins and proteins to supplement the exercise routines.


Now, all that was left was the execution-which was, inevitably, the hardest part, as you’ll find out as you read on.

Day 1: I religiously woke up at 6:30 AM, had a glass of milk and went for a refreshing, early morning jog. After twenty-five minutes, I was exhausted, with all the muscles becoming inelastic and taut, due to lack of any physical exercise over a period of time. Even the ogling at all the pretty girls in the park didn’t help; I mean even that source of constant energy, the one which drives all the hot blooded males in the world wasn’t enough to revitalize my depleted strength. 



Next, I was determined to work out ab crunches for the next sixty minutes, but ten minutes into the act, I realized that this wasn’t as easy as I thought! My limbs were sore, my body ached and muscles I never knew existed made their presence felt by screaming out in pain. Despite their repeated protests, I carried on for another twenty minutes before finally calling it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment